Uploading and Downloading Files
With FastGlacier you can easily upload virtually any number of files to Amazon Glacier. Below you will find step-by-step instructions that explain how to upload/backup your files to Amazon Glacier.
To upload your files to Amazon Glacier:
1. Start FastGlacier and select the vault that you plan to use as destination.
Select the Vault that you plan to use as destination.
You can also create a new Amazon Glacier Vault if necessary.
2. Click the Upload button and choose Upload file(s) or Upload Folder.
Click Upload -> Upload file(s) or Upload -> Upload Folder
3. Select the files you want to upload.
Select the files you want to upload
Or select the folder to upload
Select the folder you want to upload
The upload process will begin. You can track the progress on the Tasks tab.
You can see currently uploading files on the Tasks tab.
The context menu allows you to start, stop, cancel and retry the tasks.
Tasks context menu allows you to start, stop, cancel and retry the tasks.
With FastGlacier Pro you can significantly increase your uploading speed. To learn how to upload your files to Amazon Glacier at maximum speed possible, click here.
FastGlacier automatically saves the queue. You can restart application and continue uploading. For large files you can resume uploading from the position where it was stopped.
Data integrity: FastGlacier checks file integrity by calculating sha256 hash and sha256-tree-hash of an each part of the file and sha256-tree-hash of the whole file when completing the upload. If the hashes do not match, you will see corresponding error message and file will not be written.
FastGlacier allows you to download one or multiple files as well as a whole folder or vault.
Retrieving the file(s) from Amazon Glacier is a two-step process:
- Initiate a retrieval job.
- After the job completes, download the file.
To download file(s) and/or folder(s):
1. Start FastGlacier and select the vault that contains the files you want to download.
Select the Vault that contains the files you want to download.
2. Select the file(s) and/or folder(s) which you need to download and click Download.
2. Select the file(s) you want to download and click the Download button.
3. You will be asked to choose a destination folder on your local disk. Choose the folder and click OK.
Select the folder on your local disk and click OK.
4. FastGlacier will initiate a retreival job(s) and will check the job status each 10 minutes (you can change polling interval in Tools, Options, General).
Selected files were requested. Please wait about four hours.
5. After the job completes, your files will be ready for download. FastGlacier will start downloading your files automatically. You can track the progress on the Tasks tab.
The download will start automatically after the retrieval job completes.
If you need to download a large number of small files, you can speed up the process by increasing the number of concurrent downloads.
Data integrity: FastGlacier calculates the sha256-tree-hash of the file after downloading is completed and compares it with the hash returned by Amazon Glacier server. If the hashes do not match, you will see corresponding error message.